Linux Engineer: Job Description
We are seeking a Linux Systems Engineer who is responsible for making architectural design decisions in our environment, solving technical problems and making educated improvements to the system, and is expected to identify and advise on potential pitfalls that we may experience and suggest alternatives that may better serve the stability and security of our hosted platform. Supports and maintains network communication and solutions using the Linux Platform. Responsible for solving complex technical issues which can include OS level, web server, database server, applications server, DNS, SMTP or other software issues. Technical responsibilities include problem identification, systems architecture design, hardware/software specification and/or design, and implementation.
- Responsible for complex architectural design and development of hardware, software and networking systems.
- Analyzes systems and determines business requirements.
- Ensures completeness and compatibility of the technical infrastructure to support system performance.
- Requires leading-edge skills in the latest areas of new technology.
- Mentors lower level engineers or administrators, and demonstrates the ability to own large subsystems with a high degree of accountability.
- Assists Manager to identify gaps in training and process.
- Reviews and approves technical documentation.
- Ability to diagnose and fix the most complex server and system-wide issues.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Excellent knowledge of MIS objectives and strategies.
- Excellent technical knowledge in technology methodologies, design, and implementation.
- Excellent analytical and design skills at multi-product/multi-environment level.
- Aware of business issues as they impact overall project plans.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Basic Knowledge of HTTP required.
- General Knowledge of Puppet, Backups, Caching, CDN, Cluster management, Firmware, HTML, Linux Shell Scripting, OS/DISTR, OSPF/IOS, Role Servers, SMTP/Mail Relays, SQL query writing/troubleshooting, SSL Certificates, Sys Design, and Web servers.
- Advanced knowledge of Linux Kernel, Packet Management, Advanced scripting language, Auth/ Directory services, DBA, HA, Linux Kernel, Networking, Packet analysis, Security, Storage, System Optimization, Leadership, and Patching required.
- Advanced knowledge of FTP, and Web Scripting required.
- Expert knowledge of Hardware, Load balancing, Performance Monitoring and DNS required.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Usually requires six plus years of information systems design/architecture experience with a minimum of 3-4 years working in the Rackspace environment or equivalent FANATICAL customer support work place.
Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply please email resume to: Careers@TobiasSystems.com