SolarWinds provides you with a wide array of predefined reports for each Orion module, and a web-based interface that enables you to customize the predefined reports and create your own reporting strategy. Reports can be printed or exported in a variety of formats.
In addition to using the Orion Web Console to view and create reports, you can also use the Orion Report Writer to maintain legacy reports created prior to the introduction of the Web Console Report Interface.
Orion gives you the option of using built-in reports or creating custom reports. More than one hundred built-in reports are available in Orion NPM. These reports allow you to access and distribute tabular and chart-based reports on a variety of information, such as:
- Top N Utilization for: Interfaces, Memory, CPU, NetFlow
- Top N Applications: Inventory, Compliance, Node status, Events, and Virtual servers.
The Orion Report Writer is used for creating custom reports or for applying or modifying built-in reports. Report Writer allows the user to select report parameters, using the Report Writer GUI, or enter a complete SQL query. When the GUI is used, a SQL query is created in the background. This query can be viewed for all reports, but can only be edited in custom SQL reports. Both built-in reports and Report Writer-created reports are executed by querying the Orion SQL database, giving unfettered access to any data stored in the database.
Several components work together to allow for built-in reporting, custom report creation, and report delivery.
- Report Writer:
- Acts as a framework for report structure
- Contains the main interface for configuring, creating, and editing reports
- Runs queries against the Orion database when requested
- Stores reports
- Calculate values as required, such as 95th percentile
- SQL Database - Stores and delivers information for Orion
- Orion Core - Provides Web Console, report delivery, and other core functions
- Windows Event Scheduler - Provides regularly scheduled report actions
- Email - Provides a delivery mechanism for reports
Tobias International employs highly skilled engineers with extensive experience in report building and SQL queries that will assist any network department build or modify any report to better suit our clients needs. We can provide custom reports in with either the Web-base report builder or the Orion Report Writer that will satisfy the highest level executive to the day-to-day field technician.
Learn about other TI Enhancements to SolarWinds Features